As a firm specialising in augmenting customer acquisition through social media, and digital marketing we are often asked one question, “does social media work?” We could always list the many successful campaigns we had run and cite facts and figures or influential opinions on the matter but we wanted more. We wanted to find not only a challenge but to turn a complete social sceptic into a believer. The reason for the title will become apparent as the story continues.
To say the company was sceptical of the success social media could have in improving their traffic and revenue would be a understatement. However, they said yes and work began. The company said they would be impressed with a little more exposure in the USA and some increased traffic. Within a month they had a huge increase in traffic and had not only seen an increase in exposure but also in revenue. They had started to believe. However, they had an Android application that they wanted to promote and increase downloads. They had a long time ago set a target of 10,000 downloads but had yet to realise this goal. So we set to work.
A few days later we get an email through with the above as the subject “Social Media Really Works?!” along with a graph as an attachment.
To say we had a happy customer would be an understatement. However, it was more than this. We had turned a complete social media sceptic into a believer in this new form of digital marketing.
So how did we do it? Well just like a magician we don't reveal our secrets but we can give you 5 helpful tips for social media success.
1. Combine your marketing channels Combine all the best of digital marketing for what we call your “Perpetual (Pro)motion Machine.”
2. Ask your audience When it comes to social media, you want to do two things: engage and get people involved. Asking encourages both and taps into the human nature of people who are online and participating in social media—the urge to be heard.
3. Listen! Talk about yourself 10% of the time, engage with others about what matters to them 90% of the time and listen 100% of the time.
4. Make your voice heard Creating a social media presence and engaging with both consumers and potential clients requires companies to have a “voice” and to be able to share something of value in social media communities.
5. Most importantly share content that resonates with your audience Passion should emanate from every part of your social media campaign.
Why not get in touch with Resonate and have a chat about how social, mobile and web can help you acquire new customers and grow your business.
This guest post was written by entrepreneur Patrick Walsh. Patrick runs Resonate, a creative marketing and technology company, is an active board member on several other startups and also does a whole bunch of other cool stuff.
If you like what you see here on Startacus, why not become a member of our growing community? It's free! And you'll get all this - exclusive access to our Business Toolkit, discounts and offers galore for your business via our member only business deals, the chance to network and connect with loads of fellow self-starters, and maybe even become our celebrated 'Self-Starter of the Week' and tell the world your startup tale! Join right here for free...