Home » Culture » 10 Tips to Help Designers Beat the Recession
10 Tips to Help Designers Beat the Recession
by Startacus Admin
Doug Richard of School for Startups and Dragon's Den Fame guest writes for Startacus with some handy tips for Designers to beat the recession...
1. Sell your work at local events. That local market or pop up shop is your best chance to meet customers face to face, to show them your work, to find out why they buy when they buy and to see what they are selling. If the fees are too high, pair up with another artist or two to share a space.
2. Continue to design. If you come up with a good idea, document it. If you can afford to create a sample of the product, do it. This recession won't last forever and you'll be glad you have products already designed to sell when it is over.
3. Go to Meetups for both artists and entrepreneurs. It's a great way to meet like minded people locally and the events are usually free and cheap. School for Startups has a free meetup you can join if you happen to be in London http://www.meetup.com/CreativeStartupsLondon/.
4. Create a website to sell your work on. There's really no excuse at all for not having a website if you're an artist. You can create your store free using Shopify and Etsy. You can buy a domain name that lasts a year at Godaddy.com that points people to it. Generally speaking the best domain to create is one that uses your name if you're an artist because most of the people who buy from you will remember that more than any company name you tell them. Also you can keep that domain for a lifetime since it will always be relevant.
5. Buy visibility with your artwork. As an artist your key weakness is visibility. Initially no one knows who you are or what you do. If you can give a design to a company for free that leads customers back to your website, you've increased your visibility without having to pay in cash. Make sure the art has your name or domain name on it. Make sure you have to provide nothing but artwork.
Mi-IDEA Manchester looks for disruptive startups
11th Apr 2017
Tech Startups take note - this Manchester evening meetup on 26th April 17, will give you all the key info you need to know about the Manchester based MI-IDEA post accelerator programme...